Hear who Bill’s favorite people are to play with, both past and present. He also has a lot of admiration for the German & Czech players, who he sees as the future of Freestyle. Randy says keep you eyes on the Rovereto, Italy, guys too! Jake wants to know how he can make his passion (Freestyle) his career…is that what Wright Life has been for Bill? Find out what Bill’s favorite move is.
- Get some advice from Deaton on how to improve your game.
- Find out which players Deaton would play with in a beach jam if he could only choose 3.
- When Deaton talks about what he likes now about freestyle; he’s excited by the new angles he sees some of the new players doing and always encourages more consecutivity.
- He does however plead with people to avoid the “the” while exploring this new world.
- Do you know the origins of the move, “A Grown Man Cry”?
Erwin was not Jens’s first partner…find out who was. Erwin reflects on disc sports the last 40 years (and yes, he is one of the few that can claim to have won the World Title in 4 different decades.) He thinks the sport is going in the right direction, but both Jens & Erwin realize they were in on the ground floor of something special. Interesting to hear how Jens & Erwin differentiated between the two worlds of shows and tournaments. Will we ever see the V-Bros never been seen before Thriller routine?
Find out how one of the greatest women’s teams ever, Carolyn Yabe (now Hubbard) and Stacy Anderson (now McCarthy) came together at Colorado State, started playing Freestyle, and soon after won their first World Championship in 1983. It was the Coloradicals that provided much of the inspiration and after joining the Grateful Disc Club, they “got the fever!” Hear about their shared journey of moving from the regimented sport of swimming to finding true joy in the self expression, creativity, and freedom that Freestyle encouraged. Find out their strategy for choreographing their routines. After listening to their memories of playing on Friday afternoons in the La Jolla Cove, you’ll be planning your next trip to San Diego.
Find out how Juliana Korver is preparing for her second FPA World’s Championship in Udine. Her desire to get better drives her to practice. A lot. Her success in Disc Golf was a catalyst for the regimen she currently uses, and it is quite impressive! Growing up, her mother’s encouraging words, “you can do anything” were motivating, but she knew that would come with a lot of work on her part. Juliana is finally enjoying using her skills more than building skills, and she’s excited about that. Get more insight about her videos and how they’ve helped her (and others.) Hear about how she experienced jamming in Prague vs. the Canary Islands. And finally, when Jake asks if she were told 15 years ago that she would now be playing Freestyle, what she would have said.
Jake, Randy, & Bill have a conversation about introducing new people to Freestyle and some of the reasons it’s so hard. It is more than teaching, it is inspiring people. When you find someone that has “the bug” you can see it, and it’s so cool! They also chat about the past and how Whamo managed to attract such big crowds to events. Oh, the good ol’ days of yesteryear….
How many people have YOU converted to Freestyle? We’d love to hear your success stories!
Jeff remembers some of the important, but forgotten players from his generation. He shares his perception on how the game has changed over the years and although the moves have become more technical, he questions the overall direction. Being asked to be in the Hall of Fame was meaningful for Jeff and he appreciated hearing that he’d made an impact on people’s lives. He now uses his passion for Freestyle to make the world a better place through his V-Disc Project. Here is the link to learn more.
Ilka Simon and Bianca Strunz won the Women’s Pairs division at the 2014 World Championships. In this episode, Ilka shares how factory work can lead to playing frisbee. For Ilka, Freestyle Frisbee was not love at first sight, but after experiencing the supportive environment, continued support from Boguslaw Bul and a little extra attention from the Beast, she was hooked. Hear why Ilka finds greater comfort in competing vs. jamming and why 2014 was one of the best years of her life.
Listen to Doug E Fresh’s new installment of the Top Ten.
- Hear about his favorite places to make the magic happen and what metrics he uses to make his determination.
- Is he able to actually keep it to ten?
- What are Randy & Jake’s additions?
- How many of these places have you been?
Leave comments on your favorite jam spots.
- Donnie and Allen comment on the difference between playing inside and outside.
- Survive mode and thrive mode is how Randy describes it.
- Donnie talks about how he and Joey Hudoklin influenced the game early on.
- Is it true that the discipline and rigor they strived for made it less fun?
- Hear how the judging system has changed over the years and how some people just have something that is unquantifiable.
- Donnie answers the burning question, why did he stop playing a sport that meant so much to him? It gets personal.
- Find out who Donnie and Allen consider to be the best forgotten players.
- What are your shoes of choice?