41st Annual Virginia States
It’s official. Heinsville will be Live Streaming Freestyle from the 41st annual Virginia States overall Frisbee event on April 22 – 23. Virginia States is one of the longest running Frisbee events. It holds true to the roots of overall style disc events. If a modern freestyler wanted to experience the Rose Bowl or the early NAS events, Virginia States is probably the closest one could find today. Freestyle is a favorite event of the attendees. Freestylers feel the love and appreciation as the crowd pulls out the couches and lines the field to watch. Freestyle teams may be 2 or 3, just like it used to be. Judging is done by rank, which is one of the earliest judging systems. And, last but not least, Virginia States has one of the highest cash payouts for Freestyle winners, mainly because they want to attract the best talent the sport has to offer.
And that’s exactly what they do. Virginia States has had a long tradition of attracting both top young talent and legends in the sport. This year will certainly not be any different. The team to watch will be Randy Silvey, Ryan Young, James Wiseman. Randy is a wily veteran who brings a dramatic flare that engages the crowd. Ryan is taking his game in new directions that will bring a layer of originality. James, of course, can do any move he wants, whenever he wants. So, expect big things from this team.
Yes, though Virginia States an overall event, it is absolutely one of the hottest Freestyle events in the USA. But more than that, it is at the quintessential crossing between frisbee, family, friendship and history. So, if you can’t make it, tune in and be a part of it.
Top 2 from each pool make the finals. Finals Pool. Watch Live.
Mattia Lambertini Silvina Porsch
Waldemar Wagner Yuval Reikoren
Pablo Rada Woo Wunder
Ilka Simon Dennis Vollmer
Andrea Sarti Andrea Piemontese
Yarden Borkow Ryan Young
James Wiseman Mattia Colombari
Sascha Höhne Marc Pestotnik
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In this episode we talk with all the winners from Frisbeer Cup 2017. See all the results here.
- Mehrdad Hosseinian – Paul Kenny – Open Pairs
- Ilka Simon – Paul Kenny – Mixed Pairs
- Ilka Simon – Anna Merlo – Women’s Pairs
- Rick LeBau – Juliana Korver – Challenger Pairs
- Naïm Megassabi – Steffen Verstichel – Battle
- Florian Hess – Alex Leist – Christian Lamred – CoOp
Open Pairs is determined by Hat draw. The pools and teams are a surprise so won’t be available until after they play. These are the players who will be randomly paired up:
Are you feeling sad because Frisbeer is over? Console yourself by watching Jam Canaria live! Mystiq will be onsite at Jam Canaria bringing you the action. Mystiq, we owe you a big thanks!
Jam Canaria is taking place on the beach on the island of Gran Canaria. This is the first Freestyle event to take place in Spain. Being hosted the weekend after Frisbeer, Jam Canaria has attracted many of the same top players. With Jam Canaria being on the beach, it will demand a different skill set from the indoor venue of Frisbeer. The wind will be a factor. Click here to tune in and find out how the competitors adjust and to see some heinous beach freestyle.
May 11 @ 16:15 UTC + 0 – Open Pairs Semi
May 12 @ 17:00 UTC + 0 – Open Pairs Finals
Listen the interviews with the winners and watch their performances.
- Rick LeBau – Juliana Korver – 904,48, 3299,02, 4145,97 Total: 8349,468
- Sebastian Gorczynski Mateusz Gajewski – 498,71, 1634,56, 2683,58 Total: 4816,842
- Daniel Weinbuch – Julian Stork – 755,76, 1711,14, 2244,74 Total: 4711,637
- Andy Absolom – Konrad Patris – 736,91, 765,17, 1083,42 Total: 2585,496
- Paula Willin – Kuba Radwanski – 672,74, 788,31, 1077,10 Total: 2538,157
- Florian Hess – Alex Leist – Christian Lamred – 13338,95, 12348,09, 13686,29 Total: 39373,32
- Mehrdad Hosseinian – Paul Kenny – Marco Prati – 10442,10, 10042,66, 10107,32 Total: 30592,08
- Antonio Piccione Cusm· – Pavel Baranyk – Valerio Occorsio – 9574,98, 8681,97, 9113,70 Total: 27370,64
- Jakub Kostel – Tom Leitner – Sascha Hˆhne – 7306,73, 5900,40, 5382,59 Total: 18589,71
- Philipp Kruger – Freddy Finner – Ryan Young – 5328,27, 4963,98, 4909,56 Total: 15201,81
- Lukas Lacina – Jiri Weiss – Jens Friebe – 4896,40, 4619,26, 4754,10 Total: 14269,77
- Daniel O’Neill – Bianca Strunz – Robert Dittrich – 4828,08, 3551,77, 3324,96 Total: 11704,8
- Sebastian Gorczynski – Silvina Porsch – Petri Isola – 2694,02, 2143,89, 4395,28 Total: 9233,189
- Ilka Simon – Anna Merlo – 2100,37, 3161,07, 3892,62 Total: 9154,05
- Bianca Strunz – Juliana Korver – 2411,26, 3040,24, 3612,55 Total: 9064,058
- Anna Duran-Korzycka – Sophie Rickers – 1739,58, 2322,96, 3348,94 Total: 7411,478
- Mehrdad Hosseinian – Paul Kenny – 57.0
- Pavel Baranyk – Valerio Occorsio – 52.3
- Daniel O’neill – Tom Leitner – 52.3
- Jakub Kostel – Freddy Finner – 53.0
- Antonio piccione Cusmá – Marco Prati – 49.9
- Jens Friebe – Sascha Höhne – 46.7
- Dylan Rocha pires – Christian Lamred – 45.9
- Philipp Krüger – Robert Dittrich – 41.6
- Ilka Simon – Paul Kenny – 55.9
- Jakub Kostel – Bianca Strunz – 52.6
- Paula Willin – Christian Lamred – 49.9
- Juliana Korver – Freddy Finner – 45.4
- Anna Merlo – Sascha Höhne – 45.3
- Silvina Porsch – Toby Künzel – 39.3
The Frisbeer Cup Team, Ryan Young, and Heinsville are teaming up to bring you Frisbeer Cup 2017 Live. Frisbeer Cup has been running for over a decade and attracts the best talent in Freestyle Frisbee. Fans are sure to be delighted by the level of hein this event will bring. There are also some notable features of this particular live stream.
First, I am not able to attend the event. Mystiq has has stepped up to produce the stream. At past events he has volunteered to learn from and fill in for me. Now he has built a formidable kit that will produce the pro level quality you are accustomed to watching. This is great news for Freestyle Frisbee; more producers means more quality live streamed events.
Second, Ryan Young is bringing his tablet based electronic judging system. This promises to speed time between teams and rounds, and is integrated with the live stream. Team names will be automatically added into the stream, taking the burden off Mystiq. The most exciting part is that scores will be shown on the stream as they happen. Preliminary results will be available almost immediately.
Third, all this has freed me up to do something I’ve wanted to try for a long time. That is for Heinsville to take over the live stream distribution. That means no more uStream or Youtube. The advantage here is that anyone who wants to stream their event can use the service, streams can be syndicated (sent to other channels like the olympic sports web site), and can be further produced offsite. For example commentators do not have to be physically at the event to speak into the stream.
But my favorite part is that this enables Frisbeer to be commercial free. That’s right, no more commercials cutting in during a routine.
Note that stream distribution does cost Heinsville money. Fortunately I have driven out as much of the cost as possible by writing my own software. If Frisbeer is successful I will be working out exactly how to make it financially viable. If you would be willing to donate and/or pay to watch commercial free, professional quality Freestyle Frisbee live streams, please let me know. Also, if you’re planning to stream an event, contact me for details on using the service.
Click here to watch the stream.