We discuss what the heck just happened in Budapest with the below panel.
Skippy Jammer – WFDF Freestyle Chair.
Paul Kenny – FPA Executive Director.
Lori Daniels – FPA Board member & onsite commentator at WUG.
Jake Gauthier – Commentator for WUG live stream via The Olympic Channel.
Emma Kahle & Daniel O’Neill – winners of the gold medal at the inaugural WUG 2019.
Can you believe it?! This is episode 100!! Woo Hoo! Jake & Randy talk about their personal observations. They both feel they’ve grown as a result of the numerous conversations they’ve had & the various points of view they’ve heard. They reminisce a bit over the last two and a half years and talk about some of their favorite episodes.
Rick continues his stories down memory lane and all his favorite Freestyle hot spots in California…Jake asks about some rumored psychological war fare during competition. Rick has some good Donny Rhodes & Joey Hudoklin stories, but when it comes down to saying who is “best” it isn’t possible to choose. Rick says in 1984, he was probably the best, but it was short lived. Rick says the key to being great is commitment; watch videos, and play a lot, with lots of different people. It is a continual learning process, and everyone has a different way of approaching how they get to that place of flow.
The next episode will be a recap of the World Urban Games.
FPA World’s is coming October 10-13 in Seattle, as well as a celebration of Hall of Fame inductees. It will all be live streamed!
- Daniel reflects on his first tournament in 2010 at Virginia States. He and James were newcomers and learned so much playing by playing coop with Zanardi – Emmanuele Faustini. It was also the first time Daniel had seen all of the Frisbee competitions coming together in one place.
- Daniel shares his introduction to Paul Kenny, and what an influence and mentor he has been on both he and James. It was his tiny college dorm room that the three of them put together their first routine for the 2012 Worlds, sans frisbee.
- One of Daniel’s fondest memories is winning in Riccione, despite challenging wind conditions.
- Daniel explains his thought process when choreographing his routines, and how his partner and the music play into that.
- He also talks about the skills he has carried over from performing professionally in Cirque de Soleil and Pilobolus.
World Urban Games is coming September 14th – It will be streamed on the “Olympic Channel” so please watch for more details and a list of all the players! Go Freestylers!
- In 1986 Kate graduated, left Santa Barbara for San Diego and was pleasantly surprised by the new group of people that created an impressive Freestyle scene.
- Kate talks about the relationships between players of the other disc sports and why she thinks there were certain connotations they had of Freestylers.
- Randy asks Kate about her process when creating a routine.
- A move to Reno for a job and finishing her dissertation required her to put Freestyle on hold for a while.
- Then other life happened and took her in a different direction.
- Her desire is there, but her body parts don’t always cooperate.
- Kate shares some of her favorite Frisbee experiences, tricks, and kitchen utensils.
- She also has some valuable advice for new players.
Kate’s professional life has really taken off and she recently published a book called Fear-Less: The Art of Using Anxiety to Your Advantage. Learn more about the exciting work she is doing at KateDow.com
- In 1989, WFDF was held in England, and Konn shares his experience playing with Adrian Wainright.
- Although they did not have the most ideal practice circumstances, they focused on difficulty vs presentation, and they ended up winning.
- Konn, Jake, & Randy discuss the variables that drive performance & how judging impacts the game.
- Konn has some interesting thoughts on how he views difficulty and the correlation to the amount of time it takes to master certain moves.
- Konn shares his impressions of meeting Donny Rhoades for the first time.
- Congrats to Jake & Ryan on their recent WFDF win!
- Toronto Raptors win!!
- Charles Tips book was his go to guide and find out who the HOF “guy” was who changed his life forever.
- Toronto has a “beach” scene with a sweet wind?
- Ken Westerfield – mentor and showman took Patrick and others under his wing and showed them the demo ropes.
- Kosmic Katastrophe – what the heck is it and why is it a Canadian thing.
- The Death Disc & Buzz Bee – just what you think they might be:)
WFDF – World Overall Championship – Freestyle will be live streamed July 12 & 13 and don’t miss the new integration with the judging system. You will be able to see the players names and how they scored live, plus much more!
- Daniel shares how he was introduced to Freestyle by a fellow student named James on his first day as a freshman in college.
- He practiced in his dorm room and learned to delay almost immediately.
- Although it took a while, both Daniel & James earned the acceptance and the mentorship of the NY crew, who encouraged them to focus on the basics.
- Daniel talks about specific players that have been most influential to his game.
- Find out how Emma Kahle worked her way into the Columbia Campus threesome and what they named themselves.
- Randy asks Daniel how he has dealt with comparisons between him and James.
- Jake provides some of his own insight as he played so often with his brother, Matt.
- Can you believe it? Shootin’ the Frizbreeze has had nearly 20,000 downloads to date & we are approaching 100 episodes!
- Thanks to all our patrons and donors who help make this possible!! Consider becoming becoming a part of this project today!
- Jake & Randy talk about their highlights from the 22nd Jammers Championship in Jacksonville, FL. Congrats to Jake Gauthier, Daniel O’Neil, & Dave Murphy who took the win in Open Pairs, and to Lori Daniels and Dave Murphy who took the win in Mixed Pairs. Special thanks to Paul Kenny for hosting the event!
- John no longer plays Freestyle, but he has continued to play Disc Golf, and he explains why that is.
- John finds DDC more intriguing than Freestyle, and he encourages others to take a crack at it.
- Jake asks who he thinks the best player is, past and present.
- John gets philosophical when talking about some of his favorite experiences.
- How do you handle your emotions when you’re jamming?
- Coming Up the German Championships will be live streamed on May 31st – June 2nd. Thanks to Chris Belaj for making that possible!