- Konn talks about his early inspirations and some of the prominent Europeans players of the day.
- Frisbee or school – which one did he choose?
- Demo life was not for Konn but he did have some memorable experiences.
- Konn makes the trek to the mecca of Santa Barbara and has some eye opening moments regarding freestyle play that impacted his game.
- Jam Britania – Novemeber 10 & 11 – will be live-streamed! Konn Cummins, Jason Salkey & Adrian Wainwright will be pairing up again after 30 years – don’t miss the reunion!!!
We’re excited to have a many time world champion, Rose Bowl champion, and perhaps even the greatest woman player of all time, Kate Dow join us today.
- Kate started playing in 9th grade, when plans to just toss the frisbee around with a friend turned into seeing people playing freestyle on the Venice Green.
- She was so mesmerized that she jumped right in and was driven to learn. Several years later, Kate moved her game (& her education) up to Santa Barbara.
- Competition and winning were bitter sweet for Kate, hear what she says about her experience.
- She also talks about the perception of men vs. women when they play. Have things changed?
- The Venice Green and Palm Park are a couple Frisbee mecca’s; Jake & Randy talk about some others.
- On November 2nd-4th, Jake will be traveling to Ocean Beach, in N. California for the Golden Gate Shred Tournament.
- A Beachstylers Update – It was originally announced that Jake and Dave Schiller won, however, after a deeper dive on the results, Dave discovered that a rounding error and found that Pavel Baranyk and Harry Skomroch won Open Pairs. Congrats guys!
- Check out the new photos on the Frisbee Guru Wall of Gurus. Thanks to everyone that’s purchased a t-shirt or contributed.
- Jake gives Beachstylers in San Diego a big thumbs up!
- We continue our conversation with John Kirkland, who is known for being an originator of new moves.
- John talks about how even though certain people have the reputation of throwing surprises, it really is an inclusive process.
- Jake asks John to share some of his experiences playing with prior partners. It is not surprising that the experiences range from frustrating to magical.
- John shares some of his favorite Rose Bowl memories, but upon reflections, he realizes that it was all about the journey, not the few minutes of competition.
- Being present and in the moment with friends is a great message for all of us to takeaway.
Remember, you can download the podcasts on your favorite app, and listen anytime. You can also provide a review, which is an easy and helpful way to spread the jam.
The conversation continues with the delicious Chipper Bro Bell. He talks about how his game developed while touring and competing with the Bud Light Team.
- Hear how the chemistry between he and Joey allowed their spontaneous routines to lead them to victory.
- Chip, Jake, & Randy really get into talking about consecutivity, what it feels like to each of them, and how they make it work.
- The flow is the focus, not the catch. How do you convey this to a new player?
- Chipper comments on the European players, and how their passion reminds him of the 1970’s in the U.S.
- It’s all about sharing and inviting others to in.
Thanks to all those that have helped make the live streams a reality; it’s hard to believe there have already been 13 this year! Just so you know, the Podcast is now every other week so Jake & Randy have time to focus on other exciting projects. Be sure to watch the Beachstylers live stream on October 6th & 7th.
- Jakes answer: Joey Hudoklin, Randy’s answer: Donny Rhodes. Listen in to hear the question.
- The conversation continues with Stork to get an insider’s view about why Wham-o discontinued the NAS series.
- Find out how the Frisbee and Hacky Sack communities came together and why.
- Stork shares the details inside the last years of Wham-o, Kransco & Mattel and how the corporate world saw disc sports.
- How did Frisbee go from attracting 50,000 spectators to only friends at family? Maybe people just play to play, but who doesn’t like a little admiration?
- Thanks Jay Moldenhauer for his generous offer matching donation offer for new patrons and to our 3 new patrons!
- New livestream, 25th Edition Freestyle Frisbee tournament – Coppa Città di Milano – September 22 and 23rd
Pavel Baranyk – Ryan Young – Dave Schiller
Emma Kahle – Lisa Hunrichs
Matt Gauthier – Lisa Hunrichs
Open Pairs Champions
James Wiseman – Ryan Young
Special thanks to Patron Jay Moldenhauer: he’s made an offer that for every person who becomes a Patron by Sept. 8, 2018, he will donate an extra $50. Become a patron today.
This was our live episode from Sun Break 2018. Attached is both the audio only and video versions. Enjoy!!
- Interview Ryan Young, the Tournament Directory
- Interview Pavel Baranyk, the Open Pairs and Follow the Leader winner
- Jam time
- Jake explains a new spin practice inspired by Ryan Young.
- Konn tells us how it all began and of course the V-bros were part of it and how the “Ally Pally Tossers” embraced him.
- Holland Park became his home away from home where he developed his skills over 20 years.
- Adrian Wainwright was Konn’s first partner and mentor and they brought an edge to the game that was not the norm.
- Konn and Adrian hook up with Jason Salkey to create a formidable co-op team.
- We also learn there was a lot of action going on in European jam scene at the time.
Jake and Randy will be pausing the podcast for a few months to focus on the upcoming livestreams at EFO & FPAW 2018 and other FrisbeeGuru projects. Don’t worry the podcast will be back with new freshly baked episodes in September. Happy Summer!!
- Jake and Randy discuss the jam packed freestyle schedule this summer and the livestream.
- Dave and Arthur talk about playing with different co-op partners.
- Setting a goal in competition can lift your game but competition is not for everybody.
- Arthur & Randy recall their journey competing together with only a spontaneous approach.
- Jake & Randy discuss the magic of spontaneous play and how it happened to them.
We would love to hear from you so click on the “contact us” link and let us know what you think.
Below are some more videos of Dave and Arthur’s winning routines: